Friday, February 17, 2012

My hungry caterpillar's 1st Birthday Party

This is our dinning room art wall.  For this occasion I filled it with prints off the internet of The Hungry Caterpillar illustrations.  This entire wall costed me $12 + paint I had on hand.  I found each frame/mirror at the thrift store (I made sure each UGLY picture that was included had a mat around it).  Then I took them apart, painted each frame black, painted each mat white, put back together MINUS the ugly picture and the backing.  Because the backing is removed it takes only a second to swich out my kiddos art for new. 

 


My mom upcylced my son's outfit by cutting out an applica of the caterpillar that was on one of his 3 month sleepers.  We added the cupcake with candle.  For my daughter's dress, I just sewed a bunch of buttons to make the caterpillar.  By the way both shirts, overalls, and upcycled sleeper were garage sale finds (only 50 cents apiece)


Found this idea from http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/ submitted by Jill A. of Westford, MA.  The background is a large thrift store frame.  Cleaned up and added illustrations from the story.  The cake is made from a bundt form, cut into thirds.  The apple is my baby's smash cake.  It is a cupcake.


The menu was right from the book

I have always wanted a banner that we can use for everyone's birthday.  This was a no sew one made from felt.  (I am a huge felt fan!) It took awaile to cut and sew buttons on the tabs, but I think we will keep if for years to come.

I got the jar invitaion idea from http://www.potterybarnkids.com/, I put the caterpillar on top, made adorable leaf invitations, added fake grass and a paper twig.  But I really LOVED these placemats that my 2 year old made.  I gave her stacks of circle lable stickers (why do I have so many of these?)  It kept her busy for days.  After I laminated them they were perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment