Thursday, February 7, 2013
DIY Rapunzel wig
Calling all princesses!!! Tonight I finished our Rapunzel hair... it only took forever. Actually this DIY project all in all did not take too much time to make, I just dragged it out much too long. I first seen this beauty at theweekendhomemaker. She has a great tutorial, however I made some adjustments and improvements to the process.
First was the dreaded cutting of a bazillion 10ft lengths of yarn. So I decided to run myself dizzy around some chairs. I lined up two chairs a distance apart. Taped my yarn to one of them and made a lap around it. Then I marked it and determined if the length of this piece was the right size. When I was happy with the measurement, I made a couple hundred more laps. I must say it was a little nauseating, and I did need a couple breaks, but I was happy with my volume after 1 1/2 looms? bunches? whatever you call it? of yarn.
I tried sewing the hair to a cut off pair on nylons, but it was a mess. This is when I gave up for 6 months and did not look at it until tonight. Today I happened to notice a handmade crocheted bright yellow stocking cap at a thrift store for 75 cents. So I purchased and rushed home to get stitching. First I found the middle of my yarn and stitched the hair down the center of the hat. Then I took clumps and made large stitches around the clumps down to the back of the hat in rows. I was amazed that it appeared to be a winding braid on the top of the head. When I tried this method on the pantyhose you could see the part too well, but with the matching colored hat it blended well.
I am very excited to show Mrs.-3yr-old tomorrow. My luck it won't fit! Pictures of the wig in action to follow!
at 10:20 PM