Monday, June 25, 2012

Sesame Street party



Now that I am done with birthday parties for a while I am able to reflect on the past parties I hosted. Miss.-3yr-old's second birthday was all about Sesame Street. She was an Ernie lover.

The invitations set the scene. Each child invited to the party received a package that looked like it was run over by a truck. I crumbled up brown package paper, used inks to distress it and stamped it with the bottom of a tennis shoe. Inside this "disgusting" packaging was a green and "dirty" t-shirt (dyed white t's) and a "garbage can lid hat" (made from a pie tin and hot glued foil handle). It was tied together with twine and labeled with a GROUCHKETEERANNUAL MEETING INVITATION. Of course the invitation had "gone through the trash compactor" before it was sent. (NOTE: When I post this picture it lost its quality) 
Photo Ops I wanted to recreate the street in our garage. I started by obtaining a refrigerator box from the local appliance store. I covered it with brick bulletin board paper, then added windows and a door. Kudos to my dad, the stairs were constructed from construction foam.

Oscar's house sat next to our building. I propped a new metal garbage can ($10 from the hardware store) next to old milk crates and old wooden crates. I draped a drop cloth and a burlap bag to "accessorize". Slimey the Worm was made from foam.

Big Bird's nest ended up to be very last minute, but I LOVE how it turned out. I went into the woods and found a fallen tree. I hacked at its branches. Then I made a crescent with the twigs. When it was perfect I used twine to tie it in place and I added foliage from silk Flowers for greenery.

Miss.-3yr-old had an Ernie obsession. I think it might have something to do with orange being her favorite color. So I had to include his bathtub and rubber ducky. I have a 4 1/2 ft roll of tag board, so I was able to make a tub cutout. We took picture while we blew bubbles. Don't forget to have rubber ducky on hand!
The cupcakes were posted on www.hwtm.com by Stephanie Stach.

Favors
Each child left with a sesame street coloring book, bubbles, a colorful floppy plastic CD case with a giant cookie in it (sticker reads RYLEE'S PARTY IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE LETTER R AND THE NUMBER 2.) and of course the Grouchketeer shirt and lid. 

3 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! Where did you find construction foam that thick, I've only seen it at Home Depot and Lowes in 3" thickness. very creative! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used the foam from home depot. It was about 2 inches and pink. We boxed up the we the top of the railings look thick, but really we glued 2-3 chunks of foam together.

    ReplyDelete